Saturday, February 23, 2008

Monroe doesn't suck anymore!!

Well there are quite a few things that I could do with out in this town, however the addition of Threads Unlimited Knits has made life so much better and it just opened today. I was antsy the whole day when I finally got out and went down there. Ro is an amazingly friendly and wonderful lady. She embodies the ideal of a knit shop owner. She is more than willing to take a minute out of her busy day to connect with you, answer your questions and make you feel comfortable. Currently her yarn selection is a little thin, but she is expecting a few more shipments of yarn in the next couple of weeks and I can't wait to see what comes in. Of course the more Monroe knitters shop, the more diverse her yarn selection will be, and I am sure I will be an integral source of capitol (due to my yarn addiction).



Even more than petting fun yarns, the atmosphere in the shop makes it feel like home. I was almost hesitant to sit around, but the second I walked in I felt like I was in my living room with a bunch of new friends. We knit, we talked and we schemed. I met a few new people and I even sold a bunch of stitch markers. I actually left the LYS with more money than I came in with. Amazing.



So my new name is the "Guru" the knitting guru to be exact. I know that I have only been knitting for two years, but it seems that I have a larger base of understanding than other knitters who have been knitting that long. I don't know if it has anything to do with the sheer quantity of projects or the level of difficulty that I am willing to take on with absolutely no experience. It probably has to do with both though. There are a few things that I understand very well, biochemical pathways, bacteria....knitting. I should really do something with the design ideas I have. I did by some more Berrocco Bonsai today so that I could work on my shorts only to remember that I have no idea what I did with the waist band that I have made.



I think some of the most interesting comments I have heard about knitting lately is the desire to knit in a more "mainstream" fashion. I know I have said it before although probably not here, but knitting is all about freedom of expression, creativity and ingenuity. I don't believe there is a wrong way of knitting as long as you produce the result that you like. Never listen to anyone say "that's the wrong way." Pick, throw, hold your yarn as you please. I think that some ways of holding yarn help maintain gauge though. Do what your comfortable with.



In other news, I finished my SWS pillow, stuffed and all. Wooohoo I CAN finish things!! I have to stay up late tonight for reasons untold, so I have some time on my hands. We are leaving in an hour to get the puppy. Squeeee!!

Better get ready, I just went into the black hole of crafts and managed to find the lost box of knitting and my bonsai shorts. Off I go!!

No comments: