Thursday, June 21, 2007

Handmade Redefined



Apparently deconstructed is a look that has gone past ripped jeans and into everything else. I like boho, but I'm not too sure about hobo. A few months ago I saw an episode of Knitty Gritty (AlterKNITive) where safety pins were a sudden fashion statement and the rest of the patterns looked like they had been knit by my 3 year old daughter. My appologies to the designers, but c'mon, seriously.... There really is a difference between punk, deconstructed, homemade; and just plain ugly. I did find this picture the other day....






in one of my fave catologs and of course it is obviously handmade. I think that is what I like about it though. So I started thinking about how most people dislike the look of something handmade. I think that it's because most handmade items look a little sloppy. This shirt looks handmade, but at the same time, the stitches are uniform and what little bit of lace you can see is also very even. What makes a shirt like this look nice? Could it be the drop dead gorgeous brazillian model wearing it? Prabably, but I still like it. I would like to start a new pattern series emphasizing how hand made can still look classy. I have already finished my first project! Check it out.




Thick and Thin


I've been wondering what to do with this yarn for a while




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


It's my first hand spun silk and my first hand dyed yarn. How much more homemade can you get. When it comes to spinning silk I'm not so good yet so it came out as a thick n' thin yarn.


And this is what I came up with




The pattern is really easy, just a standard raglan T. The neckline isn't knit the whole way up to give it a boat neck.




I also finished my socks made out of the blue and yellow sock yarn. Not anything exciting, but kind of cute




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




I also have been working on a lace pattern with this yarn




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




Pretty...




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




No comments: